Officer involved in Wal-Mart shooting back on job
BEAVERCREEK, Ohio (AP) - A city official says one of two police officers involved in the fatal shooting of a man at an Ohio Wal-Mart is back on the job.
Beavercreek city attorney Stephen McHugh tells the Dayton Daily News that Sergeant David Darkow has returned to work following the shooting earlier this month in suburban Dayton. He says the other officer remains on administrative leave.
Neither McHugh nor the Ohio attorney general has said which officer fired the shot that killed 21-year-old John Crawford in the Beavercreek store Aug. 5. Police say Crawford twice ignored commands to put down an air rifle he was holding.
Ohio Attorney General Mike DeWine said this week that a special county grand jury will convene Sept. 3 to determine whether criminal charges should be filed.
Illegal gambling still rampant in Ohio
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - Two more racinos opening this fall will add to the many legal gambling options available in Ohio - but officials say illegal gambling still is a big problem.
State investigators increasingly are finding illegal gambling hot spots, many of which are masquerading as "skill games" parlors. Matt Schuler, executive director of the Ohio Casino Control Commission, says the agency has been working with federal and local law enforcement to find and shut down the operations.
The Columbus Dispatch reports that last week state investigators busted House of Skills, a game parlor in Mahoning County. They seized 54 machines after receiving complaints that the business was giving cash payments to winners, a violation of Ohio law except in casinos and racinos.
The state has four legal casinos and five racinos.
OHIO STATE-BAND DIRECTOR
Ohio State president, band leaders to meet
COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) - University and marching band leaders at Ohio State are preparing to meet to discuss the future path of the organization after the firing of its director.
A spokesman says president Michael Drake is scheduled to meet Thursday with interim directors and some of the band's 33 student squad leaders.
Spokesman Gary Lewis says Drake has no plans to revisit the July 24 firing of director Jonathan Waters. However, the high-profile dismissal is anticipated to come up during the gathering.
Waters was fired after a two-month university investigation concluded he knew about but didn't stop a "sexualized" band culture of rituals that included partially-clad marching, groping games and sometimes explicit nicknames.
The university board rejected Waters' request for reinstatement, which was supported by leaders of the band alumni association.
Ohio man pleads not guilty in stabbing of parents
WESTLAKE, Ohio (AP) - A 22-year-old man has pleaded not guilty to charges that accuse him of stabbing his parents at their northern Ohio home earlier this week.
Robert Jaworski appeared in court Wednesday and was being held in jail in Westlake, west of Cleveland, with a $225,000 bond. Jail records didn't contain attorney information.
He has another court appearance set for Tuesday.
Westlake police say they are still looking for the knife they say Jaworski used to stab his father, 58-year-old Kim Jaworski, and 56-year-old mother, Carol Jaworski, on Monday.
Kim Jaworski is listed in critical condition at a Cleveland hospital, and his wife is in stable condition.
Police say authorities learned about the stabbings after a hang-up 911 call Monday night and a subsequent callback by a dispatcher.
Ohio tourist robbed by homeless couple in Florida
(Information in the following story is from: Daytona Beach (Fla.) News-Journal, http://www.news-journalonline.com )
DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. (AP) - Police say two homeless people robbed an Ohio tourist, then forced her to drive them around Daytona Beach.
The incident began Sunday when a woman approached 33-year-old Nancy Johnson of Gallipolis, Ohio, in a convenience store parking lot, asking for spare change.
According to a police report, Johnson told her she had a $5 bill but would go inside the store and get change. The women went inside, Johnson got change and handed two dollars to 37-year-old Leona Kight. As Johnson backed her car out, 52-year-old Kenneth Shaffer revealed a handgun in his waistband.
The Daytona Beach News-Journal reports Shaffer demanded money. Shaffer and Kight got into the vehicle and told her to drive. The pair was eventually arrested and remain jailed on kidnapping and attempted robbery charges.
Ohio high school student accused of online threats
CHAGRIN FALLS, Ohio (AP) - A northeast Ohio high school student has been arrested after police say he threatened classmates in a Facebook post hours before school was to open for the year.
The 17-year-old Chagrin Falls High School student was arrested early Tuesday and charged with inducing panic.
The (Cleveland) Plain Dealer reports that the Facebook posting included a photo of the teen carrying three toy guns. Police did not release the details of the written threat.
The incident did not disrupt the opening of the school, but Superintendent Robert Hunt said officials alerted parents about the incident.
Parents and school officials spotted the Facebook post on Monday night and notified police. The teen was arrested at about 12:30 a.m. Tuesday.
SCHOOL OUTBURST-JAIL SENTENCE
Ohio woman sent to prison for school outburst
AKRON, Ohio (AP) - An Ohio woman has been sentenced to more than a year in prison for assaulting a teacher, principal and cafeteria worker at her son's elementary school after being told she needed a visitor's badge.
A Summit County judge sentenced 25-year-old Jessica Smallwood, of Akron, to 14 months this week after she pleaded guilty to three counts of assault that were elevated to felonies because they involved educators.
The Akron Beacon Journal reports that Smallwood went to the Glover Elementary School cafeteria on Feb. 21 to have breakfast with her 7-year-old son.
Prosecutors say she pushed the teacher, knocked the principal to the ground and punched a cafeteria worker.
Smallwood's attorney said she was upset and surprised at the sentence and will seek early release.
Ohio Catholic diocese discourages ice challenge
CINCINNATI (AP) - A Roman Catholic diocese in southwest Ohio is urging its school leaders not to encourage the ice-bucket challenge for the ALS Association because donations could fund research involving embryonic stem cells.
Archdiocese of Cincinnati spokesman Dan Andriacco says the challenge itself is fine, but money sent to the ALS Association funds at least one study using embryonic stem cells. An embryo must be destroyed to harvest its stem cells, and many Catholics relate that to abortion.
Andriacco tells The Cincinnati Enquirer the diocese is urging money be sent instead to the John Paul II Medical Research Institute in Iowa, where the research is conducted using only adult stem cells.
The altruistic ice-bucket stunt to fund amyotrophic lateral sclerosis research has become an Internet sensation.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.