OHIO COUNTY, W.Va. (WTRF) - Medical professionals across the Ohio Valley work around the clock to make sure you and your families are healthy.
Sometimes the cases they treat push their expertise beyond their textbook training and forces them to get creative with their methods of treatment. 7News took a trip to OVMC and spoke with EMSTAR Medical Director Dr. Neal Aulick and he says there are many things he's encountered throughout his 30-year medical career that haven't been textbook cases, "A lot of very strange situations that we find ourselves in when we're taking care of patients."
One of those cases deals with a patient who was going into anaphylaxis and her boyfriend, "Young couple, they were probably about college age and they had just been dating for a little while, apparently, and they were making out and the girl went into anaphylactic shock," Dr. Aulick said.
The question remained, how exactly can making out lead to a patient dealing with a potentially lethal allergic reaction, we'll get to that, but first, Dr. Aulick says the staff is able to stabilize the patient, but not for long, "We were able to give her a lot of medications to kind of reduce that and calm it down a little bit, but we weren't sure what was causing the allergic reaction."
Well, come to find out, while the medical staff was out of the room, the patient's condition was starting to improve, which according to Dr. Aulick, led the couple to start making out again in the ER, then causing the patient to start experiencing a second bout with anaphylaxis, "And that seemed to be the only common theme. The boy was worried that she was allergic to him or something."
After asking some questions the source of the allergic reaction hits the boyfriend like a ton of bricks, or in this case, a pound of peanuts, "They were thinking about it and suddenly I think a light went off in the boyfriend's head, 'Oh wait, I had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich earlier in the day." Apparently, he didn't brush his teeth well enough and when they were making out, she was able to get a little bit of peanut butter out of his mouth and into hers and just a small amount is enough to cause a reaction," Dr. Aulick said.