A man and his dog are dead, and a woman is hospitalized after a house fire early Sunday morning in New Martinsville.
New Martinsville Fire Chief Larry Couch said the fire happened around 4:20 a.m. at a home on 62 Orchard Drive.
Earl Malson, 74, died from smoke inhalation and lack of oxygen, while his wife Ruth Malson is being treated at Wetzel County Hospital for smoke inhalation.
Chief Couch said the fire, which appears to be accidental, may have started due to an extension cord in the basement of the home.
All damage was contained inside house.
One room downstairs was gutted while there is heavy smoke and heat damage throughout rest of home.
The fire is being investigated.