Double Homicide Suspect from Michigan Ends Life as U.S. Marshals - WTRF 7 News Sports Weather - Wheeling Steubenville

Double Homicide Suspect from Michigan Ends Life as U.S. Marshals Approach to Arrest

Posted: Updated:

The search for double homicide suspect Thomas Fritz came to an end on July 17, 2012 at a remote cabin near Sistersville, WV.  Fritz was charged in Michigan for the 7/13/2012 slayings of his ex-girlfriend and her sister as well as the shooting of the women's mother. 

Shortly following the murders law enforcement officials from Michigan contacted the United States Marshals Service fugitive task force and requested assistance in locating and apprehending Fritz.  A lead which was sent to the U.S. Marshals in Cleveland eventually resulted in information being developed Fritz may be hiding out at a cabin in rural Tyler County, WV.

At approximately 7:25 pm on July 17, 2012 a team of Deputy U.S. Marshals accompanied by the Tyler County Sheriff's Department approached the dwelling in an attempt to apprehend the fugitive.  As arrest team members closed in a Deputy Marshal covering the rear of the dwelling spotted Fritz on the back porch armed with a rifle.  Fritz fled into the residence and seconds later a shot was heard from inside the residence.  Arrest team members immediately sought cover and set up a perimeter while the assistance of tactical response teams was requested. 

At approximately 10:00 pm members of the WV State Police SRT unit assembled near the target residence to be briefed by the Marshals concerning the situation.  At approximately 12:00 am the SRT unit approached the dwelling and made entry.  Fritz's body was eventually located in a rear bedroom with what appeared to be a life ending, self-inflicted gunshot wound. 

A search of the residence uncovered two assault style rifles, a shotgun and gas mask.  The West Virginia State Police processed the dwelling for evidence and the Tyler County Sheriff's Department is handling the death investigation.  The body was taken to the WV State Corner's Office for autopsy and positive identification. 

No law enforcement officers or civilians were injured during the operation.