Magnolia School Administrators had a couple of problems to deal with Thursday and ended up sending students home as a precautionary measure.
Assistant State Fire Marshal Mike Barrick said Mountaineer Gas discovered a natural gas leak down the street from the High School, but not on school property.
However, Wetzel County Superintendent Diane Watt told wtrf.com school officials detected an odor in the school at 7 a.m.
Watt said they immediately moved students to a secure location.
The West Virginia Department of Environmental Protection has been called in to investigate the odor, which is not related to the gas leak.
Watt said students in grades nine through 12 were sent home Thursday.