An Ohio Valley Landmark, Louis' Hot Dogs, is closing it's doors after 93 years in business. The Wheeling business opened in 1919 at 11th and Chapline streets, where it stood for 50 years. It then moved to the Market Plaza where it was in business from 1969 until 1999, while a Louis' Famous Hot Dog has maintained its current location at the Elm Terrace Shopping Center since 1981.
The business was created by Louis Mamakos who ran the business for 50 years. His son Pete Mamakos and daughter Virginia Monolakis ran it for roughly 30 years, before being taken over in 1999 by a third-generation Mamakos, Pete's son Louis.