Something In Your Medicine Chest Could Poison You - WTRF 7 News Sports Weather - Wheeling Steubenville

Something In Your Medicine Chest Could Poison You

Posted: Updated:

Something dangerous is lurking in your medicine chest.

It's the mercury in your glass thermometer.

That's why Morristown Pharmacy and Barnesville Hospital are asking people to bring in their old thermometers Saturday, Oct. 26 as part of their Prescription Take Back Day.

They say if a thermometer gets broken, the mercury could be absorbed through the skin and make someone very sick.

"Mercury in the environment does pose a risk for your nervous system and some health effects that most of the community members are not aware of," said Michael Carpenter of Barnesville Hospital. "It can produce dizziness, tremors, shakes, depending on the volume and levels you're exposed to. Continued long term exposure can lead to serious health effects."

On Oct. 26, from 7:30 a.m. to 9 a.m., take all your expired drugs and old thermometers to the lobby of Barnesville Hospital.

From 9:30 a.m. to noon, take them to the Morristown Pharmacy parking lot.

Anyone who brings in a mercury thermometer will get a free new digital thermometer.

For more information, call (740) 425-5108.