On September 19, Connie Simmons was outside her Doddridge County home checking on some of her farm animals when the unthinkable happened.
"I turned around because I heard the dog screaming, the one dog got all of the other dogs going and I turned around and everything was just black smoke coming out of the house," said Connie Simmons.
Simmons' grandson Caden Simmons was inside at the time and she immediately headed for the burning house.
"I just ran screaming his name, and screaming for someone to call 911. When I opened the backdoor to go into the house everything was black I couldn't see anything," Connie Simmons explained.
Connie Simmons said that's when their dog, Queen, became a hero.
"I got to the doorway and the dog ran and met me because she saw me stop. She ran me towards the bedroom. We ran right to the hallway and I grabbed a hold of her collar after I grabbed him and she grabbed his hand and put his hand right into mine. As soon as we got to the backdoor the windows blew out right next to us," said Connie Simmons.
Connie Simmons said in just seven minutes the house was completely gone.
"It was just total devastation, in seven minutes. I could hear fire trucks coming; I was just in a state of shock. In a split second you never know what's going to happen," Connie Simmons said.
Caden Simmons said he was also in shock.
"I just felt scared, I really didn't know what to think of," said Caden Simmons.
The Simmons and Keith Jozwick currently live in a camper on their land, and are trying to get a modular home to live in but are struggling financially.
Family friends will hold a spaghetti dinner fundraiser for the family in West Union to help them get their new home.
The dinner will feature spaghetti and meatballs, salad, and dessert.
There will also be raffle baskets available.
The dinner will be held on Sunday, November 10, at the Lions Club in West Union from 12 p.m. to 6 p.m.