Area Fire Chief Offers Space Heater Tips to Help Keep Families Safe

Archives
9683224_G_968322471

Half of all home fires occur in December, January and February and many of those are due to improper use of space heaters.

When it gets this cold outside, sometimes it’s hard for the furnace to keep up. So many people reach for the space heater to supplement the warmth.

Martins Ferry Fire Chief Mike Reese says to keep the heater three feet away from everything else and never leave it unattended. Unplug it if you’re leaving or going to sleep.

“You want to keep your area wide open that’s around it. You don’t want to use extension cords. You’re gonna plug one in, it needs to be plugged directly into the wall.  Other things, you need to watch your small children. You don’t want them to be around them because they do get very hot. You don’t want ’em to get burnt. And one of the most important things is  you need to keep checking your smoke detectors. You want to check the batteries and make sure those are operable,” said chief Reese.

He recommends checking your smoke detectors once a month. He also says don’t use kerosene heaters inside the house because they give off deadly fumes.

The chief says it’s all right in a well ventilated garage, but never indoors.

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video
Days
Hours
Minutes
Seconds

Pro Football Challenge

Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter