Crews were called to a building at 3254 Belmont Street after a person claimed to smell gasoline coming from inside the structure Friday.
Bellaire Police Chief Mike Kovalyk said when they investigated they found no evidence of gas, but they did find that the third floor had collapsed to the second, while the second had fallen to the first.
Officials on scene declared the structure unsafe because it posed an immediate danger to surrounding buildings and residents.
After several attempts were made to contact the building’s owner went unanswered an emergency demolition was ordered.
“We are concerned about the neighboring structures on both the south and the north so we are going to get this building out of here,” Bellaire Code Enforcer William Swoyer said.
Officials had condemned the building about one year ago and reportedly made several attempts to contact the owner.
Swoyer said the village is currently talking to some local demolition contractors and hopes to have the building down within the next few days.
Stay with 7News for continuing coverage.