Multiple fire departments in Ohio battled a house fire early Friday morning.
Monroe Street in Bellaire was shut down around 10:00 a.m. so officials could fight the fire and avoid further property damage.
“I’m still in shock, I can’t believe this happened. It’s a tragedy,” said home owner Sharlene Yocum.
Yocum’s daughter missed the bus this morning, so she took her to school and was gone for 45 minutes. When she returned her house was on fire.
Yocum and the fire department are still unsure what actually caused the fire.
“We double checked everything, made sure everything was turned off before we left the house. So, we don’t know what’s going on, what happened,” said Yocum.
“There’s no cause. I’ll be in contact with the fire marshal hopefully he’ll be here tonight, if not tomorrow morning,” said Bellaire Fire Chief Richard Smith.
The roof of the house collapsed and the fire destroyed the inside of the building as well. According to officials, nobody was seriously hurt, but two pets may not have made it out.
“I’m sad, I’m still missing a dog and a cat we can’t locate them I think they’re in the fire. But one dog did get out,” said Yocum.
“The house behind us is pretty much at a total loss. The other two; we saved the structures, they had some minor damages,” said Chief Smith.
The fire departments were on the scene for more than three hours, but in battling the blaze they also had the weather to worry about.
“When you’re out here in the frigid temperatures like this everything tends to freeze up, your gear freezes up, and makes for slippery conditions. We’ve had fire fighters that fallen, it just makes an all-around dangerous situation,” said Chief Smith.
That dangerous situation now has Yocum feeling depressed and anxious just trying to figure out her next move so close to the holidays.
“I had to call off work because of this. Where we going to get close? I know where we’re going to stay, we’re going to stay at my mom and my sisters every day,” said Yocum.
Now she just wants 2016 to come to an end.
“I just hope 2017 is a better year. My husband has passed this past March and now the fire. So, I hope 2017 brings a better year,” said Yocum.
ORIGINAL: 11:14 a.m., Friday, December 16, 2016
Crews are on scene of an active, fully involved house fire in Belmont County.
A house in the 3200 block of Monroe Street in Bellaire caught fire around 10:00 a.m., Friday.
Officials say the home is a total loss. A portion of the roof reportedly collapsed near the chimney.
Multiple fire departments responded to the scene to battle the flames. Surrounding homes did not received any damage.
Officials say everyone, except for the pets made it out of the house safely.
Stay with 7News for updates as they become available.