Dog Dies After Being Left in a Hot Car in West Virginia

Archives
11075945_G_1107594571

A sad case of a dog being left in a hot car is just coming to light in Marshall County. Officials said the incident actually happened in McMechen 15 days ago.

A woman tells police she forgot the dog was there and the dog did not survive.

McMechen Police responded to a call that a dog had been left in a car on Marshall Street.

“McMechen Police Department tried to revive the dog but wasn’t able to,” said Mike Baker with Marshall County Animal Control.

It was an 84-degree day, but inside the closed car, Baker said it was much hotter.

“I had the volunteer take a thermal reading inside the car and at that time, the temperature was 114,” said Baker.

The owner, Linda Jean Zavolta, told authorities she went in the house and forgot the dog was out there. Criminal charges are currently being pursued.

“We’re going to take her through the courts to see what can be done about her leaving her dog in the car to die,” Baker added.

“The car is just a hot box and it heats up very quickly. Dogs can overheat very quickly. It’s very dangerous. We strongly recommend you leave your dogs at home. There’s no reason to take your dog out in the car when it’s this hot outside,” said Lauren Cook, the Director of the Marshall County Animal Shelter.

As for criminal charges, Cook said they’re appropriate.

“It’s animal cruelty to leave an animal in the car when it’s that hot outside. It’s pretty much a death sentence for them if it’s for an extended period of time. You know, we don’t like to take that lightly and we hope that nobody else would,” said Cook.

The dog in the car died, despite the police officer’s efforts to resuscitate it. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter