Donate To Hometown Healthcare Heroes

Fire Safety During Holiday Season

Archives
12635299_G_1263529971

There have been four house fires in a little over a week here in the Ohio Valley.

Sunday night’s fire in Dillonvale started in the garage and thankfully firefighters who responded from all over Jefferson County were able to stop it from spreading.

During the winter and holiday season, the risk of a house fire increases due to a number of factors, including Christmas trees and lights, space heaters, fireplaces and more.

“During the holidays we do a lot of baking and cooking. We emphasize cooking safety. Don’t leave any pots or pans on the stove unattended. Make sure you have something nearby to either put a lid on the pot if something happens or some type of small extinguisher,” said Steubenville Fire Chief Carlo Capaldi.

Here are some additional tips Capaldi adds:

·       It’s a good idea to not use extension cords for lights and heaters, but if you are make sure they’re rated for the purpose you’re using them.

·       If you have a live tree, keep it watered so the needles don’t dry out.

·       Before using your fireplace, you should have had it checked for any obstructions, and watch it at all times because sparks can fly out.

Now for Steubenville residents tight now thanks to a donation, there are free smoke detectors at all of the fire stations and fire office at the city building, if you need them for your home.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter