Fire safety during the holiday season

Archives
9513016_G_951301671

During the holiday season, lights and candles are everywhere in homes. How do homeowners make sure their homes are safe from fires this season?   


The Wheeling Fire department has some safety tips for your home, extension cords are a big issue. When extension cords are connected to another, creates danger because they are only meant to carry one load of electrical power. 

As the temperature drops, space heaters become more popular in homes. Do not leave a space heater unattended for a long period of time. Keeping ovens on for an extra heat source is another fire danger. Heaters are meant for temporary use, they are not made as a primary source of heat for homes. Heating systems should also be checked and cleaned by professionals.

Make sure candles are not left unattended in rooms as well. 

“The extension chord thing issue becomes an issue, one of the big things we run into is that people try to hide the extension cords from plain view, people try to hide them under a piece of furniture or under a rug and then those things become frayed or damaged you don’t see them until a fire issue occurs,” said Chief Larry Helms. 

The chief also urged homeowners to check their fire alarms and carbon monoxide detectors during this time of year.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter