A Belmont County family is without any of their possessions after a fire consumes their home Wednesday morning. It’s the third fire officials are ruling a total loss in just three weeks.
Calls came in around 8:30 a.m. about a structure fire on Hawthorne Hills Road in Shadyside, Ohio.
Crews from three departments, led by Shadyside, were still on scene smothering hot spots, trying to determine the source of the fire just before 11 a.m.
Darren Moore and his young daughter were asleep when the fire broke. His wife was not home at the time.
“She slept in her playpen and woke up coughing,” Moore’s wife, Linda. “He got up and saw smoke and ran her out the door. Thank God she woke up coughing.”
OR&W Assistant Fire Chief John Staver said they were able to control the fire once they arrived.
“We got here and the trailer was fully involved, went in and put the fire out,” he said. “It took a little whileto get some water here, but it went pretty well.”
In a press release the Ohio Fire Marshal’s office said it’s important for resident’s to check a home’s heat source and to practice caution when using heaters, generators, and electrical outlets.