UPDATE 12:06 p.m.
All Eastbound and Westbound lanes are open after being closed since 5:00 a.m.
According to Public Information Officer Philip Stahl, the truck was carrying a “mixed load” and was an independent truck via FedEx.
UPDATE 10 a.m.
- All Westbound Lanes are OPEN
- I-70 EB is being diverted off Exit 4 to the Exit 5 On Ramp
- I-470 EB has ONE LANE open
- National Rd. – congestion EB to Wheeling Park area
*DOH, Hazmat and wrecker crews are working to clean up area and assess damage.
UPDATE 7:40 a.m.
ONE LANE of traffic on I 470 EB has RE-OPENED. Traffic is still moving very slow. I-70 EB will have one lane Opened soon. All westbound traffic has opened. Firefighters are still putting out hot spots.
UPDATE 6:50 a.m.
6:50 a.m. UPDATE: I-70 & I-470 WESTBOUND traffic has REOPENED.
EASTBOUND TRAFFIC is still closed on both 70 & 470.
Due to a tractor trailer fire carrying hazardous materials I-70 East and West Bound is CLOSED between Exit 4 and Exit 5 in Elm Grove. I-470 East and West Bound is also CLOSED at the split in Elm Grove.
- Traveling I-70 WB get off at Exit 5 in Elm Grove to National Rd and back on at Entrance ramp 4 west.
- Traveling I-70 EB get off at Exit 4 and back on at entrance ramp 5 East in Elm Grove
- To I-470 E from Elm Grove use E Bethlehem Blvd to the Entrance ramp in Bethlehem.
- For I-470 W get off at the Bethlehem exit and use E Bethlehem Blvd (Rt88) to entrance ramp 5 in Elm Grove.
Officials on scene say once the truck fire is out they will hope to open at least one lane back up. But be aware you will encounter traffic back-ups in the area this morning.
UPDATE: 6:00 A.M.
Lumber Avenue in Elm Grove which runs under I-70 and this truck fire is CLOSED. Officials are reminding you this is a dangerous situation. Do not attempt to get close to the fire or try to drive on Lumber Avenue.
Update 5:45 a.m.
Firefighters are stationed nearby I-70 EB Exit 5 on a tractor trailer that is on fire carrying flammable material. For everyone’s safety, both I-70 and I-470 are closed until fire is out and under control.
This is a developing story. Please check back for details as they change.
Interstate 70 eastbound in West Virginia is closed near exit 5, Elm Grove due to a truck fire.
The tractor trailer is reportedly hauling explosives, corrosives and other hazardous materials.
Traffic back-ups are already reportedly on I-70 past Bethlehem.
Stay with 7News for updates and follow Tessa DiTirro who is on scene gathering more information.