As National Donate Life Month continues, area hospitals are proudly displaying the donate life flag to honor those who have saved lives and their families.
WVU Medicine Reynolds Memorial Hospital was the latest to raise the flag on Tuesday.
Representatives from CORE, the Center for Organ Recovery and Education, were in attendance encouraging more people to register to donate.
A few statistics that CORE shared about organ donation in West Virginia:
- Only 35-percent of West Virginians are organ, eye and tissue donors
- More than 115,000 people are waiting for a organ transplant nationally
- Nearly 500 of those people are in the Mountain State
- Every 10 minutes someone new is added to the transplant list
- 250,000 people are waiting for tissue and cornea transplants
- 20 people will die each day without receiving a life-saving transplant
- One individual can save up to eight lives by donating their organs
- One person can improve 75 lives through tissue donation.
If you’d like to register to donate, visit core.org/register.