Family helps man whose house burned while he was in a care center

Community

A Rayland man fighting for his life in the hospital watched his home burn on the evening news and a family member was in the house when the fire started.

Mary Jennison says she was house-sitting for her brother, Robert LaCross, as he recovers in a care facility. One moment she noticed oil on the floor and the next, the house was completely filled with smoke.

Ashes, studs, and smoke-covered memories, that’s all that’s left of Robert LaCross’s home on Rush Run Road after a fire Tuesday night. LaCross wasn’t in the house at the time, though because; he’s currently in a care facility in Steubenville.

LaCross’ sister Mary was inside house-sitting when everything went up in flames, “It was just bang, bang, bang. I even carried out a bucket out water to try to help put it out,” said LaCross’s sister, Mary Jennison.

Mary made it out but was devastated to see the house in flames. She says her brother built the home by hand and is no condition physically or financially to repair it, “He’s in bad shape. He has a stomach tube and feeding tube. He has to have dialysis three times a week. He has shingles. Now, he’s lost his house and he has no money to rebuild,” Jennison said.

That’s why the family has started a GoFundMe page. They’re hoping to raise a little money to get Robert back on his feet, but most importantly to provide him a place to call home,  “He’s always been Johnny on the spot whenever anybody needed help. So, I hope everybody he has helped comes and helps him,” Jennison added.

The family is looking to raise 10-thousand dollars. If you would like to donate, you can click here

Copyright 2019 Nexstar Broadcasting, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Pro Football Challenge

Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter