FEMA reviewing policies to make your home flood safe


In the aftermath of devastating flooding this summer in Ohio and Marshall County, FEMA representatives hosted a meeting on Tuesday to help homeowners stay safe.

Many homes throughout the Ohio Valley were lost this summer due to flooding, and the recovery still continues.

FEMA wants homeowners to know as they are re-building, or if they are first-time flood victims, that they should learn if they live in a special flood hazard area or the flood fringe.

FEMA says if you live in the special flood hazard area, you are required by the bank to have a flood insurance policy in order to get a mortgage.

If you live on the flood fringe, you can purchase a preferred risk policy from your insurance agent.

At the meeting, FEMA also broke down the areas where homeowners might want a preferred risk policy.

Insurance Specialist Josh Davidson said annually 30-percent of flood losses happen in areas not considered to be special flood hazard areas.

“My second disaster I went home, I don’t live in a special flood hazard area but I bought a preferred risk policy because I saw it could happen anywhere,” said Davidson.

You need to be aware of your risk, and you need to talk to your insurance agent about your flood insurance, because a flood can happen anywhere.

If you do not know if you live in the flood fringe or special hazard area, Dave Weaver with Ohio County Emergency Management or Colton Wise with the City of Wheeling can tell you which category your home fits into.

Copyright 2021 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


More Video

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter