One of the last big festivals of the season just kicked off on Friday evening. 

This is the 18th year for the Heritage Music BluesFest at Heritage Port  

The three day event draws people from as many as 22 states and four different countries.

If you think the blues is depressing music, think again because you may already be a fan of the blues and not even know it.  

It’s doesn’t matter if you listen to  classic rock, country or even heavy metal, most of todays modern music was influenced by the blues. 

“If it weren’t for the blues we wouldn’t have the Rolling Stones,” said BluesFest Organizer Bruce Wheeler. “If it weren’t for the blues we might not have some of the songs from Taylor Swift. In the words of Willie Dixon, ‘the blues are the roots, the rest are the fruits’.”  

There will be plenty of fruits on display  at this years festival.  

Some of the top blues singer and musicians from across the country and all over the world will perform. 

“We always call it a weekend of award winning blues because all of these people are multiple Grammy Award winners, music awards winners, ect,” Wheeler continued. 

Some of those award winners include tonights headliner and  three time Grammy winner Delbert McClinton. His 1992 single, “Tell me About It”, which is a duet with Tanya Tucker, reached number four on the Country Music Billboard charts. 

Mindi Abair & the Boneshakers will take the stage on Sunday.

She was the featured saxophonist on American Idol for two seasons. She has also performed  with Aerosmith and was a member of the CBS Orchestra on the David Letterman Show. 

BluesFest favorites Southern Hospitality will be the Saturday headliner.  

Eric Gales, who Wheeler calls one of todays most talented guitar players, will close out the festival on Sunday. 

“It seems like when people come for the first time they say ‘I didn’t know I liked this music. I’ll be back nest year.’,” Wheeler added.

In addition to the main stage there will be a second stage that will feature local and regional blues artists.

There will also be  plenty of food as well as art and craft vendors on hand.  

For a full schedule of music, visit heritagemusicfest.com