Long-time Belmont County Election Board director retires

Community

The man who’s been at the helm of the Belmont County Election Board for 24 years is retiring.

Bill Shubat says he has enjoyed working with the best board, office staff and poll workers in the state.

He recalls many memorable experiences over the years, like a gas leak on election day, and a voter who ripped all the pages out of the election book after she cast her ballot.

But the most challenging was primary election night 2006 in the old Bellaire office, when all systems went down at once.

“Both elevators went down,” said Shubat. “So we couldn’t transport anything from the lobby of the bank building upstairs to the third floor. When you would push the button on the elevator, the computer screen would collapse. And the printer stopped running at that point. And the gentleman from the vendor turned to me and said, ‘Bill, you’re on your own. I don’t know what to do.'”

In the end, he said got the printer temporarily up and running.

And they stationed a group of teenage boys along the stairs to bring the precinct voting boxes upstairs like a relay race.

He said they always got the job done.

“We’re going to miss him terribly,” said Elections Clerk Penny Frizzi. “And I have teased him that I was going to chain him to his chair and then if that didn’t work, I was going to go out and flatten all his tires. But Bill, we are sadly going to miss you. And please, have a good, good retirement.”

Shubat says he’ll come back and help with future elections if they need him.

Kelly McCabe will be the next director, and Aaron Moore the deputy director.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video

Days

Hours

Minutes

Seconds

Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter