WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day is less than 24 hours away but the celebration of his legacy began a week ago in the Friendly City.
The Wheeling MLK Celebration Committee is hosting several events on Sunday, leading in to the federal holiday.
At 2 p.m., attendees will march down Martin Luther King Boulevard, followed by a 3 p.m. prayer service at Fourth Street United Methodist Church.
A YWCA community banquet takes place at 4 p.m. with Chief Ivin B. Lee as keynote speaker. Lee is recognized as the first African-American female police chief in the state of West Virginia.
The Wheeling MLK Celebration Committee will host the following events at the YWCA on Martin Luther King Jr. Day:
- 9AM — MLK Awards Breakfest
- 9:30AM — MLK Contest Winners award presentations
- 10:30 AM — Special children’s programming (5-12 years old) in honor of Dr. King
- Newsfeed Now: Burn victim goes viral on TikTok; Sonic employees go over & beyond for 7-year-old in Arkansas
- UPDATE: Suspect killed in officer involved shooting
- Governor, lawmakers plan aid for small businesses, renters
- Coronavirus In West Virginia: DHHR confirms 4 COVID-19 related deaths; 176 new positive cases
- Titans home game against Steelers to be rescheduled for later in the season