The Ohio County Board of Education was packed this morning with teachers as they announced they plan to have school on Monday. The board said they hoped to have a resolution today, Monday at the latest.

Members Shane Mallett and Tim Birch walked out before the meeting began.

Wheeling Park High School social studies teacher Rick Marsh said he does not think the meeting went as planned. He said he does feel the board has been supportive and understands that their hands are tied.

He said he is still very concerned about a fix for PEIA, saying during the work stoppage he has reached out to legislators.

He would like to see the task force for PEIA fix the system. He said if that means to scratch PEIA and create a new system than he supports that.

Shane Mallett has released the following statement:

It has been brought to my attention that numerous employees of Ohio County Schools, members of the general public and social media accounts that several votes could take place today reneging on the promises, support and protections that were put in place for you at Monday night’s meeting. I have been further informed by numerous employees, members of the general public and social media accounts that since said meeting, three members of the Ohio County Board of Educations may have met and/or consulted with an attorney wherein the outcome of said votes have already been predetermined.

I can assure you that I did not attend any such meeting or participate in any collaboration of the sort. As you are aware, if such meetings occurred, said actions could be in violation of the Sunshine Law. Until such a time as I am able to fully look into this matter, I do not feel comfortable sitting here as a member of the Ohio County Board of Education wherein votes pertaining to the welfare of our employees may have already been prearranged.

Therefore, out of an abundance of caution for our employees, I am asking Mr. Birch to walkout of this meeting prior to its start so no quorum is present pursuant to Ohio County Board of Education Policy No. 2000.01 Governance, Board of Education Meetings at Paragraph D. Said paragraph states “a majority of the members of a Board present at a meeting shall constitute a quorum, and no business shall be conducted in the absence of a quorum.”

Even though Board Member Carder is allowed to participate by phone, she is not present, and therefore, no quorum is present for today’s Special Meeting. Should other members of the Board of Education decide to pursue this meeting without a quorum present and vote to rescind any promises, support and/or protections extended to you on Monday night, I would strongly encourage you to obtain legal counsel to file an injunction to the same. Thank you for your attention and I wish you nothing but the best with your endeavors in Charleston.