It’s that time of year when many people start spring cleaning And with some warmer weather “supposedly” on the way, officials at the Belmont County Health Department are reminding folks the importance of a healthy home.
They are urging people to be aware of potential problems such as radon, mold and carbon monoxide.
Radon is a colorless and odorless gas that is often linked to lung cancer.
Radon kits are available at most hardware stores.
They also suggest that if you discover mold anywhere in your home to scrub surfaces with water and detergent.
Also, dusting surfaces with a damp cloth along with frequently vacuuming carpets and floors can reduce the risk of asthma.
Belmont Co. Health Department, Linda Mehl said, “We are coming into a season where we are going to be outside more but when we are inside we want it to be as healthy as possible.”
Mehl also said that led levels inside the home are also a concern, especially if you have an infant or young children.
She recommends a damp dusting of floors and surfaces to get rid of any type of led dust that may be around.