The November election is just 5 weeks away and a big topic on the Wheeling ballot is the bond issue to pay for a new public safety building that will house both the fire and police departments.
In preparation for that upcoming vote Wheeling Police Chief Shawn Schwertfeger and the Wheeling Fire Chief Larry Helms are inviting the citizens of Wheeling to tour their current facilities so the people can get a first hand look at what improvements should be made.
The Fire Department is tying their tours in with their Open House and crime watch meetings.
Now both Chiefs said how much this facility is needed and they hope that these tours will help people see just that.
They also think the tours will better educate the voters.
Wheeling Police Chief, Shawn Schwertfeger said, “Well certainly the main issue we are going to highlight is the space, the lack of space and that will be very evident during these tours. They’re going to get to see a lot more then normal so we do want to make sure we are very thorough in educating these voters and I hope that voters that might be on the fence will take advantage of this.”
Wheeling Fire Chief, Larry Helms said, “I believe people that are on the fence if they see the stations, what the needs are, I think it will at least give them a better opportunity to make a decision as to wether they want to vote for or against the levy.”
Tours for the Police Department have been set for the following dates and times:
- Wednesday, October 10 – 6:00 p.m.
- Saturday, October 13 – 11:00 a.m.
- Tuesday, October 16 – 7:00 p.m.
- Thursday, October 25 – 5:30 p.m.
Tours for the Fire Department are an open house style from 5 to 7 p.m. at the dates listed below:
- Tuesday, October 10th – Station 10/Woodsdale
- Thursday, October 11th – Station 9/Warwood
- Monday, October 15th – Station 2/North Wheeling
- Wednesday, October 17th – Station 11/Elm Grove
- Tuesday, October 23rd – Station 4/South Wheeling
- Wednesday, October 24th – Station 5/Wheeling Island
- Tuesday, October 30th – Headquarters/Center Wheeling
Walk-ins are welcome!!