WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – Youth Services System is bringing attention to youth homelessness for the ninth year in a row.
YSS is hosting the Wheeling Sleep Out tonight at the J.B. Chambers sports complex.
Participants will stay overnight in cardboard structures they build themselves.
YSS says they will cover those structures with facts about homelessness.
The reason why we do it in November is November is National Runaway Prevention Month. A large number of the homeless youth that come through our program are actually runaways. They run away for several reasons. A lot of them run away because it’s safer on the streets than it is in their home.Terra Crews, Special Event Coordinator at Youth Services System
Participants only have between 4-8 p.m. to build their structures before they face the judges, one of which is 7News own D.K. Wright.
We’ll take you inside this year’s Wheeling Sleep Out tonight on 7News at 10 and 11.
- One dead in fatal stabbing in Huntington
- Eric Trump says Harris as Biden’s VP doesn’t worry Trump campaign
- Back to school: Dept. of Defense outlines plan for military schools to reopen
- Crash on I-70 Eastbound closes both lanes near Dallas Pike
- Dr. Dave Walker’s Evening Forecast