Paden City High School hosted the 8th annual Matthew Barker Memorial Cardboard Boat Regatta.
Matthew Barker was a junior at Paden City High School when his teacher, Mr. Kinnard, challenged him to construct a cardboard boat in the Spring of 2012.
Barker was tragically killed in an automobile accident later that summer,.
In his memory, Mr. Kinnard created the cardboard boat regatta and has been held every year since.
The event is a part of the STEAM (Science, Technology, Engineering, Art and Mathematics) where students construct boats from recycled cardboard.
The students then hit the water to test the durability and speed of the boats.
This year students had to decorate the boats to incorporate the “Appalachian Folklore” theme.
The winner of the race gets a trip to Georgetown, S.C. for the Georgetown Wooden Boat Show.
- Digital Exclusive: Hunter Burkey gives inspirational speech about living with autism
- What is the quarantine doing to relationship? A therapist weighs in
- Restaurants in West Virginia and Ohio reopen with limited capacity
- Digital Exclusive: Ghost Hunting coming back to Moundsville
- Digital Exclusive: Black Diamond Wrestling weekly, live events on Zoom