WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – The YSS Winter Freeze Shelter has nearly completed its first women-only month.
Until now, the shelter opened each year on December 15th. But this year, they opened one month early…..and accepted women only.
It was in reaction to the Wheeling Salvation Army’s recent decision to exclude women and children from their shelter. YSS officials say they’ve gotten a lot of positive feedback for opening their doors to women.
We’ve been privileged to welcome probably 30 different women. We’ve had approximately 7-9 a night. Extremely grateful for getting out of the cold. I know that there’s a lot of men out there. So I expect probably a pretty big crowd, come SundayJohn Moses, YSS Executive Director
On Sunday, they’ll open for both men and women. The freeze shelter always tries to give a Christmas gift to each of their residents, based on their individual needs. They say any monetary donations they receive before Christmas will help with that.
- Houses explode in Baltimore, killing 1 and trapping 1, fire union says
- White House reached out to South Dakota about adding President Trump to Rushmore
- Newsfeed Now: Unrest in Chicago; Hugging booth goes viral in Texas
- Coronavirus In West Virginia: DHHR confirms 2 new COVID-19 related deaths; 60 new positive cases
- Wheeling Police investigating shots fired in South Wheeling