AUGUSTA, Ga. (WJBF) – The Augusta National Golf Club has announced the postponing of The Masters Golf Tournament as well as the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip & Putt National Finals.
The announcement comes in regards to concerns over the health and safety of patrons and players due to the spread of COVID-19, also known as the coronavirus.
You can read the full statement below:
Statement from Fred Ridley, Chairman of Augusta National Golf Club:
Memorandum Regarding COVID-19
On Wednesday, March 4, we issued a memo stating that our plans to host the Masters Tournament, the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals had not changed. Unfortunately, the ever-increasing risks associated with the widespread Coronavirus COVID-19 have led us to a decision that undoubtedly will be disappointing to many, although I am confident is appropriate under these unique circumstances.
Considering the latest information and expert analysis, we have decided at this time to postpone the Masters Tournament, the Augusta National Women’s Amateur and the Drive, Chip and Putt National Finals.
Ultimately, the health and well-being of everyone associated with these events and the citizens of the Augusta community led us to this decision. We hope this postponement puts us in the best position to safely host the Masters Tournament and our amateur events at some later date.
We will continue to work with the World Health Organization, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, the Office of the Governor, the Georgia Department of Public Health, the City of Augusta and all other local authorities. We are grateful to all of these entities for their exceptional efforts and guidance.
We recognize this decision will affect many people, including our loyal patrons. Your patience as we make every effort to communicate effectively and efficiently is appreciated, and we will share any additional information as soon as it becomes available. Updates also will be posted to our website, DriveChipandPutt.com.
As COVID-19 continues to impact the lives of people everywhere, we seek your understanding of this decision and know you share our concern given these trying times. Thank you for your faithful support.
Fred S. Ridley
Augusta National Golf Club
MORE TOP STORIES:
- Students try to cope with violent death of teacher
- Fundraiser held for local couple that lost everything in home explosion
- Artisans showcased at 5th annual Handmade Holiday Market
- Video game companies intentionally getting kids addicted to gaming: Lawsuit
- Puerto Rico’s famous stray cats will be removed from grounds surrounding historic fortress
- Double murder in West Virginia ends with suspect committing suicide
- Deck your halls with handcrafted decor from Grow Greenhouse
- LISTEN HERE: John Denver’s country classic “Take Me Home Country Roads” gets an alternative twist by Lana Del Ray