WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump has called for the reopening of houses of worship, declaring them “essential” services.
The president wants governors to allow them to reopen this weekend.
“If they don’t do it, I will override the governors,” Trump says. “In America, we need more prayer not less.”
Trump says the Centers of Disease Control and Prevention also was issuing guidance for communities of faith to hold safe gatherings.
The president’s comment came one day after he prodded the agency to issue guidelines, so congregations can restart gatherings for worshipers.
The CDC previously sent the Trump administration documents outlining steps for religious facilities to reopen, but the White House shelved them at the time out of concerns about the propriety of government making specific dictates to places of worships.
- Police searching for missing 5-year-old boy last seen at Ohio campground
- A white woman has apologized after calling police on a black man: ‘There’s an African American man threatening my life’
- What you need to know today about the virus outbreak
- Coronavirus in Ohio Tuesday update: 33,006 cases, 2,002 deaths reported
- Belmont County cracker decision postponed due to COVID 19