According to the American Red Cross, there’s always a shortage of blood after the holidays.
But this year, the organization is facing an emergency blood shortage, and they need your help.
Currently, the Red Cross has less than a three-day supply of most blood types on hand, which is well below the ideal five-day supply needed to respond to not only emergencies but daily hospital needs too.
Officials report they collected about 27,000 fewer donations over the holiday season than in previous years.
This is a problem, since there are typically fewer donations in January already because of snow storms, icy road conditions and illness.
That’s why they’re asking all eligible donors, especially platelet donors to make an appointment to help restock the shelves for those in need.
“Right now, we really are in need of whole blood, so we can break it down into different products such as red cells, plasma and platelets. That way we can enough blood product on the shelf for all needs at this time,” said Sharon Kesselring, executive director, American Red Cross of Northwest West Virginia.
If you would like to donate, click here to make an appointment.
Here’s a list of upcoming blood drives in the Ohio Valley:
- 2/14/2019: 12 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., The Residence Inn by Marriott, 50694 Ohio Valley Place
- 1/18/2019: 1 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Brilliant Volunteer Fire Department, 1001 3rd St
- 2/1/2019: 12 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Franciscan University of Steubenville, 1235 University Blvd
- 2/12/2019: 10:30 a.m. – 4 p.m., YWCA, 320 N Fourth St
- 2/13/2019: 8 a.m. – 1:30 p.m., Toronto High School, 1305 Dennis Way
- 2/4/2019: 12 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Crossroads Christian Church, 110 Springdale Avenue
- 1/30/2019: 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., River High School, 52560 River High School Road
- 2/7/2019: 12 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Bethany College, East Campus Drive
- 1/16/2019: 11 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., Sacred Heart Church, 363 Indiana Avenue
- 1/17/2019: 12:30 p.m. – 4:30 p.m., Former West Virginia Penitentiary, 818 Jefferson Avenue
- 1/21/2019: 11 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., WesBanco Arena, 2 14th Street
- 1/28/2019: 12 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Ohio Valley Medical Center, 2000 Eoff Street
- 2/11/2019: 12 p.m. – 5:30 p.m., Ohio Valley Medical Center, 2000 Eoff Street
- 2/14/2019: 11:30 a.m. – 5 p.m., Wheeling Jesuit University Troy Theater, 316 Washington Ave
- 1/31/2019: 8:30 a.m. – 2 p.m., Tyler Consolidated High School, 1993 Silver Knight Drive