WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – It has not been your typical snowy and freezing winter across the Ohio Valley and many residents are taking advantage.
However, Wheeling Health Right is urging residents to not be deceived by the “good” weather after reporting a 35 percent increase in sick patients since the holiday season.
Cold, flu, upper respiratory complaints. The flu has become virulent here in the Ohio Valley. Kids, adults, moms, dads, grandma, grandpa. They’re coming in with cough — nagging cough that’s been going on. Laryngitis, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea. Some people have the fever — some people don’t.Shawn Core, Clinic Director at Wheeling Health Right
Core says antibiotics are useless against the flu virus. Therefore, she encourages patients with an illness to remain at home, rest and stay hydrated.
Stay away from people, so you don’t spread this. It’s just been spreading because it’s warm and people are going out. They’re bored. And we’re seeing a lot more of it.Shawn Core, Clinic Director at Wheeling Health Right
Although temperatures are warmer than normal around this time of the year, Core is reminding everyone that is still January.
She also says a patient recently paid a visit to Wheeling Health Right wearing flip-flops.
- Dr. Dave Walker’s Evening Forecast
- September is national suicide prevention month; Do you know the warning signs?
- HHS secretary touts Trump’s health care plan while Democrats say there’s nothing in it
- ‘Ruth Bader Ginsburg changed our country and the world’
- Wellsburg Bridge halfway done; expected to be comple by 2022