Kitchen fire displaces two residents, one cat dead

News

Two people are displaced following a fire in North Wheeling overnight. 

According to the Wheeling Fire Department, the blaze happened around 1:45 Saturday morning at an apartment complex on Third St. directly off of Main St. 

Police said, the two residents inside of them home at that time escaped without injuries. However, their family cat perished in the fire. 

One neighbor who lives nearby told 7News he attempted to rescue the cat from the flames, but by the time he reached the cat it was too late. 

Neighbors also said, the apartment complex is owned by the Wheeling Housing Authority and that there were no fire extinguishers inside of the home. 

Fire crews were able to keep the fire contained to the first floor of the home, police said. 

According to officials, the fire started in the kitchen after the people who live there left some food on the stove. 

The fire is still under investigation. 

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

video

More Video

Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter