WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – The closings of Ohio Valley Medical Center and East Ohio Regional Hospital left many coal miners unsure where to turn to for Black Lung Disease treatment.
Rick Altman of United Mine Workers of America is encouraging mine workers to take advantage.
If they don’t go and get tested, you are never going to be able to prove it because nobody is going. And Trinity and WVU, they are here to benefit the miner. We need to take advantage of that because it will help save their life and it will give the ones that have it a better quality of life.Rick Altman, Vice President – International District 31
Altman says coal miners should get checked for Black Lung Disease yearly.
- Living in New York City During the Pandemic
- Senator sells stocks while ethics group calls for investigation
- Dems want universal vote-by-mail during COVID-19 pandemic but GOP is pushing back
- As first stimulus check looms, lawmakers working towards next round of relief
- COVID-19 racial disparities: Lawmakers call for action