NEW YORK (AP) — The Uncle Ben’s rice brand is changing its name to Ben’s Original.
Parent company Mars Inc. is the latest company to drop a logo criticized as a racial stereotype. Mars said the Ben’s Original packaging will hit stores in 2021.
Since the 1940s, the rice boxes have featured a white-haired Black man, sometimes with a bowtie. Critics have said the image evoke servitude.
Global President for Mars Food Fiona Dawson says the company is still deciding on an image to accompany the new name.
Pressure on brands to retire racial imagery have intensified amid the Black Lives Matter protests over police killings of unarmed African Americans.
Aunt Jemima and Eskimo Pie are among other brands that are retiring racial logos.
- The Monday blues or gray skies for the last Monday of Oct
- Aaron’s Late Night Update
- Coal giant Robert Murray dies at age 80, days after announcing retirement
- Black and Gold Today Fan of the Week 10/25- Michelle White
- Lights are back on at The Strand Theatre after going dark for 8 months