COLUMBUS (WCMH) — All Columbus City Schools buildings will release students two and a half hours early Tuesday due to heat.
According to Storm Team 4, temperatures are expected to be in the low 90s Tuesday. Many CCS buildings do not have air conditioning.
- All high school and middle school students will be dismissed starting at Noon.
- Students in elementary, K-6, and K-8 schools will be dismissed starting at 1:00 pm.
- All students will be served lunch before they are dismissed.
- Afternoon buses will run approximately 2.5 hours earlier. Families need to make alternative plans to meet children at the bus stop early or arrange for early pick-up at the school.
- After-school sports and extra-curricular activities are cancelled for Tuesday afternoon.
- Latchkey will still be open and ready to welcome students at 1:00 p.m.
- Teachers and staff will remain at the buildings until the end of the regular day. Faculty and staff will be able to work in the limited cool/air-conditioned spaces. Teachers will also assist in supervising any students who cannot be transported home early.
According to the district, custodians will arrive at schools early Tuesday to open windows and turn on fans. Students will also receive bottles of water upon arrival to stay hydrated.