In a 6-1 ruling issued Monday, the justices found the 8th District Court of Appeals overstepped its authority in 2018 when it determined the sentence given to Randy and Carissa Jones was too harsh.
They were convicted in 2015 of involuntary manslaughter and child endangering in 12-year-old Tia Jones’ death and have remained jailed since the sentence was imposed.
Doctors said Tia died in 2013 after an abscess on her ankle became gangrenous, causing a staph infection that led to pneumonia.
- Wellsburg Bridge Project Changes Date For Bridge Float
- Derek Chauvin won’t testify at murder trial in George Floyd’s death
- Biden Announces New Sanctions On Russia
- House panel votes to advance bill on slavery reparations
- WATCH: Army officer seen on video threatening Black man, saying he’s “in the wrong neighborhood”, Charges lodged