LOGAN, Ohio (WCMH) — A third person has been charged in connection with the death of a Chillicothe photographer who was killed by a rolling log near Old Man’s Cave in 2019.
Miranda Spencer, 20, of Nelsonville is charged with obstructing justice, a felony. Spencer was with two teenagers at Hocking Hills State Park in September 2019 when the other two rolled a log down a hill. The log struck and killed Victoria Schafer, 44, who was there taking high school senior portraits.
A Hocking County grand jury brought the charge on Sept. 25 against Spencer, who had testified earlier in the case.
The other teenagers — Jaden Churchheus, 17, and Jordan Buckley, 16, of Logan — pleaded guilty in September to involuntary manslaughter. Each was sentenced to a minimum of three years and a maximum of four and a half years. Since they are juveniles, their sentences were stayed and the case transferred to juvenile court, where their sentences will be reconsidered.
Spencer was not a juvenile at the time of Schafer’s death.
- Wheeling Wine Festival Coming This Summer
- Man accused of cutting out dog’s heart in ritual to clear demons from home
- No evidence Capitol rioters belong to antifa movement, FBI chief Wray testifies
- With rising stakes, No. 6 Mountaineers finally get shot at No. 3 Baylor
- ODH signs orders allowing 25% indoor capacity, 30% outdoor capacity at sports, entertainment venues