Sea lion attacks second victim in less than 24 hours


A San Francisco Bay was closed by authorities due to two sea lion attacks in the recent area. so that officials can try and determine the reason for the aggressive behavior.

It is very unusual for sea lions to have such aggressive behavior, which led officials to think the same animal attacked both of the swimmers, a park spokesman said.

On Friday A sea lion bit a man in the groin area as he swam in the waters off San Francisco Maritime National Historic Park.

Park spokesman, Lynn Cullivan said. It was “a very serious bite,” and the man was taken to a hospital.

Witnesses told CBS San Francisco  that a man in his 60s had been bitten as he was swimming around 8:00 a.m.

“A sea lion came up from underneath and grabbed him on the inside of his thigh,” eyewitness Andrew Burrell told CBS San Francisco.

The swimmer was able to get back to shore with the help of a member of the South End Rowing Club.

“He came in shocked, he had a look in his face where he just wanted to get to the hospital,” Burrell said.

The victim was taken to an area hospital with three lacerations to his upper leg.

Another swimmer was seriously injured on Thursday after a sea lion bit him on the arm.

Officers applied a tourniquet and he was transported to a hospital, where he had a least two surgeries.

Christian Einfeldt believes the animal trailed him as he swam from the beach to the mouth of the cove.

When he turned to swim back, the massive sea lion was right there, he told San Francisco television station KGO.

“I did feel threatened. I did have warning. But I was a quarter-mile from shore. There was nothing I could do,” Einfeldt said between surgeries.

When the sea lion got near Einfeldt, he splashed water on it, but the animal did not leave, said Matthew Reiter with the San Francisco Police Department’s Marine Unit.

“When it didn’t work, he yelled at it and then the sea lion came up and bit him on the arm,” Reiter said.

He started bleeding steadily.

Einfeldt knew he could not swim back, so he flagged down a sailboat.

“I was relatively calm because I wasn’t dead,” he told the TV station.

A man on the sailboat pulled him aboard and called the police. 

Cullivan said when they were attacked, the swimmers were closer to the bay than to the shore.

“People think the bay is their backyard, but it really is the beginning of the wilderness,” he said. “There is wilderness out there.”

© 2017 CBS Interactive Inc. All Rights Reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed. The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Copyright 2020 Nexstar Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.


More Video





Ohio Lottery

Don't Miss

Trending Stories

More Top News

WTRF 7News Twitter