OHIO COUNTY, W.Va. (WTRF) – A statement from Wheeling Attorney Teresa C. Toriseva, Counsel for Magistrate Varner of Ohio County.
“An issue has arisen regarding Magistrate Varner’s educational background. Ms. Varner left high school before completing all credit hours required to graduate. She then transitioned to a vocational education program. She completed this vocational program and was issued a certificate of completion 35 years ago. It is our position that under current WV Law, Magistrate Varner meets the qualifications. However, Ms. Varner understands her high public duty to remove any questions as to those qualifications. To remove all doubt or questions, she is taking the GED test. Ms. Varner expects to and hopes to have a long career in service to the residents of Ohio County by serving an Ohio County Magistrate.”
- Officials search North Carolina pond in connection to 15-month old Evelyn Boswell
- House approves bill to make lynching a federal crime
- Grandfather charged in granddaughter’s cruise ship death accepts plea deal
- Court: Not paying child support can block adoption protest
- CDC recommends men shave their beards to protect against coronavirus