(AP)-Billionaire West Virginia Gov. Jim Justice’s family companies received at least $6.3 million from a federal rescue package meant to keep small businesses afloat during the coronavirus pandemic.
According to data released by the Treasury Department on Monday, at least six Justice family businesses received the Paycheck Protection Program loans, including The Greenbrier Sporting Club, an exclusive members-only club attached to a lavish resort Justice owns called The Greenbrier.
Justice is considered to be West Virginia’s richest man through ownership of dozens of coal and agricultural businesses, many of which have been sued for unpaid debts. A representative for the companies did not immediately return emails seeking comment.
- High heat on the way for Monday
- Man killed in crash on Saffell Church Road
- Local flower shop delivers despite pandemic challenges
- Senator Manchin introduces ACCESS the Internet Act
- Two local legends honored with wrestling lifetime service plaques