Which gadgets are best for handling pest problems quietly?
IN THIS ARTICLE:
- DynaTrap Indoor Fly and Insect Trap
- Ellassay Solar-Powered Sonic Mole Deterrent Spikes
- Victor Natural Rodent Repeller Packs
No matter how clean you keep your home, you’ll likely have a pest problem at some point. Many pest solutions kill the invading animals, which some may find inhumane or messy. Many of those that claim to deter pests produce distracting noises. Luckily, various deterrents keep pests at bay without noise, poison or a mess. Before deciding which pest solution is right for you, it’s important to know more about the pests you hope to remove.
- Ants: Many ants find their way into your home for food. Some ants burrow into your wood, which may lead to structural problems. If you see a few ants, there are likely many more you don’t see. These insects leave pheromone trails so other ants can find their way into your home.
- Flies: Flies are a common pest that seems nearly impossible to avoid. These insects pick up bacteria and carry it throughout your home, landing on your food and dishes. You can reduce the number of flies in your home by keeping it clean, but you may need an insect trap if that doesn’t help.
- Mice: Mice tend to eat food crumbs left around your home and may tear up paper and trash to build nests. Their urine and feces can contain bacteria and viruses, so it’s important to rid your home of them.
- Moles: Moles like dark environments and hunt for worms and grubs underground. As these small mammals hunt, they tear up your yard. Many use traps to capture and kill moles, but some ultrasonic deterrent devices are just as effective.
Devices that handle pest problems
- Fly traps: These devices usually lure flying insects with a light source and contain sticky paper to trap and kill them.
- Ultrasonic deterrents: These use ultrasonic sounds that humans can’t hear to keep pests from invading your home or yard.
- Light-based deterrents: Some animals fear certain colors or strobing lights; these devices generally scare nighttime animals with flashing lights.
- Scent-based deterrents: Many rodents avoid the smell of mint. These deterrents contain concentrated mint to keep rodents from entering your home.
Best pest-repelling gadgets
This has a built-in UV light that attracts house flies, mosquitoes and other pests. It traps the pests before killing them, meaning you won’t have to see them. It has a stylish design that blends well with home decor.
Sold by Amazon
This set comes with six pest-repelling devices. You won’t have to use chemicals to keep your home pest-free. Each device protects around 1,600 square feet. Most people can’t hear them at all; those that can usually stop hearing them within a few days.
Sold by Amazon
These solar-powered spikes can run up to four days on a four-hour charge. They deter moles, gophers and snakes. They don’t use poison, so you don’t have to worry about the safety of your pets or children. You get four spikes in a set.
Sold by Amazon
These ultrasonic devices produce a tone that most humans can’t hear. You get three devices in a set, each with a built-in night light. They deter ants, mice, roaches and spiders.
This affordable solution has small packets with mint-infused granules that deter rodents. It comes with five packs, each of which lasts around 30 days. These packets repel rodents rather than kill them, offering a humane way to keep your home pest-free.
These mountable deterrents repel nighttime animals, such as coyotes, deer and skunks. They are solar-powered and work by shining a red light to intimidate animals. Their design resembles a security camera, so they may also deter burglars.
Sold by Amazon
This concentrated formula makes up to 1 gallon of repellent. It has a mint scent that humans love, and rodents hate. Add it to a spray bottle and spray the mixture around your home.
Sold by Home Depot
Worth checking out
- The Broox Solar Animal Repeller deters dogs, cats, rodents, skunks and other animals.
- These ultrasonic pest repellers deter roaches, rodents, bugs, mosquitoes and spiders.
- You can use the Ecovenger Ant Killer and Repellent to deter ants for up to four weeks.
- The Yardec Gopher Repellent is a poison-free way to keep gophers, snakes, moles and voles out of your yard.
- The Gardner FlyWeb Fly Trap attracts and kills flying pests.
Want to shop the best products at the best prices? Check out Daily Deals from BestReviews.
Sign up here to receive the BestReviews weekly newsletter for useful advice on new products and noteworthy deals.
Cody Stewart writes for BestReviews. BestReviews has helped millions of consumers simplify their purchasing decisions, saving them time and money.
Copyright 2023 BestReviews, a Nexstar company. All rights reserved.