BRIDGEPORT, Ohio (WTRF) — Ohio Valley basketball great, John Havlicek, was honored Friday evening at his high school alma mater, Bridgeport High School.
Havlicek died back in April and is considered one of the greatest players to come out of the area after winning eight NBA Championships with the Boston Celtics.
Longtime friend and former Belmont County Commissioner Gordy Longshaw was one of the many speakers at Friday’s event.
John was an idol when I was young, for the community today. He was a statesman. John not only excelled in sports, very successful businessman, known worldwide, and we’re proud to be part of it.Gordy Longshaw, Friend of John Havlicek
All Bridgeport High School teams were in attendance at the memorial ceremony.
Havlicek was a dual-sport athlete at the Ohio State University, excelling in basketball and football.
The Cleveland Browns drafted Havlicek in 1962 before he decided to forgo football and focus on his basketball career.
- Second stimulus checks: No $1,200 payments before Election Day, negotiations to continue
- VIDEO: Defensive Assts. Addae, Lesley look ahead to Texas Tech
- Wheeling-Ohio County Health Department reports five new cases of COVID-19
- VIDEO: Gerad Parker discusses offensive work ahead of Texas Tech clash
- City of Wheeling conducting civil service testing for numerous employment opportunities