HURRICANE, WV (WOWK) – Fifteen year old Sophie Slack of Hurricane is representing West Virginia at the 25th Annual Buddy Walk for the National Down Syndrome Society in New York City this weekend.
Her photo was chosen out of more than 3,000 submissions, and on Saturday morning around 10:20 AM she got to see her photo on the jumbo-tron in Times Square.
Her father Steven Slack told 13 News that it seemed like her photo was up for about 10 seconds, and Sophie was absolutely ecstatic when she saw it.
The entire Slack family attended the annual event in New York to help raise awareness about Down Syndrome, and people with the disorder can live full, meaningful lives.
Sophie enjoys gardening, playing the piano, and taking art classes.
Her father said she is having tons in of fun in New York, and she has already made tons of new friends.
- Alexa’s Late Night Weather Update
- Unlawful assembly and curfew declared in Pittsburgh after protests
- Ohio order signed to reopen daycare centers; officially reopen Sunday
- East Liverpool police chief called to answer questions amidst protest
- BOE candidate holds drive-by meet and greet in Marshall County