UPDATE (10/20/19 9:45AM): According to the Wheeling Police Department, both eastbound and westbound lanes have reopened on I-470 near Bethlehem.
WHEELING, W.Va. (WTRF) – Wheeling Police officials have confirmed that two people are dead following a multi-vehicle accident on I-470 eastbound near mile-marker-3.
Officials told 7News, they can not yet confirm the identity of the two dead.
According to Wheeling Police officials, the crash happened around 3:30 p.m. and involved two semi trucks and an SUV.
One of the semi trucks caught on fire, prompting a full response from the Wheeling Fire Department.
The fire took about an hour and several loads of water to put out.
Both eastbound and westbound lanes closed for the remainder of the evening while the Wheeling Police reconstruction team conducted an investigation and crews clear the wreckage.
The Mozart Volunteer Fire Department, Ohio County Sheriff’s Office, Bethlehem Police and the Wheeling – Ohio County Emergency Management Agency all responded to the incident.
- Taylor Swift tweets at President Trump: ‘We’ll vote you out’
- Happening Now: Rally against police brutality held in East Liverpool
- 13 Ohio coronavirus cases now traced back to January
- LIVE UPDATES: NASA launches 2 astronauts into orbit on SpaceX rocket for historic mission
- SpaceX, NASA moving ahead with historic launch, weather permitting