RICHMOND, Ohio (WTRF) — Recent mass shootings in Dayton and El Paso have prompted parents to purchase a bulletproof backpack in case of an emergency.
However, some school districts across the country, such as Edison Local Schools, are taking a more hands-on approach by allowing some staff to carry firearms on school property.
They have to go out and shoot at least a minimum of once a month. We’ve provided the entire group with some additional training on a monthly basis just to kinda get them on the same page. And then, they have to re-certify on a yearly basis.Bill Beattie, Superintendent of Edison Local Schools
Other districts have taken a more moderate approach by inserting tactical-grade pepper spray guns into schools, in addition to having Resource Officers.
However, all schools across the country have one common goal: keeping everyone safe.
We’re gonna do what we believe is in the best interest of keeping kids, staff, and families safe in our districtDonald Mook, Superintendent of Columbiana Exempted Schools
- Woman caught wearing ‘baby bump’ full of marijuana, authorities say
- Chick-fil-a to no longer donate to anti-LGBTQ organizations
- BBB warns that illegal ‘Secret Sister’ gift exchange scam has resurfaced on social media
- Mister Rogers Week: Working with your hero
- Self-inflicted fatal gunshot wound in Wintersville